Ever experience writer’s block when planning your summer menu for the ninth week in a row? In this post, I share summer lunch ideas that kids will actually eat and will make you look like a lunch lady rock star.
Scroll down to find a pre-made lunch menu just for you!
Over the years I’ve found that there are several ways to save time, money and energy when meal planning for a group of young kids.
STRATEGIES TO EASE THE BURDEN OF MENU PLANNING IN FAMILY CHILD CARE:
- Serve the same meal every Friday, using meal components that hold up longer in the fridge. My favorite Friday meal was a ‘picnic lunch’ that consisted of a sandwich, carrot sticks w/ hummus, and apple slices. By serving the same thing on Fridays, it allowed me to reserve some brain power by not having to think of a meal to serve on the last day of the week.
- Cook once, serve twice: Double a family recipe over the weekend and save it in the fridge for your child care crew on Monday. Meals that reheat well are: casseroles, mini meatloaf, lasagna, or chili!
- Take a peek at your grocery ad when deciding what to serve. If ground turkey is on sale, serve up tacos, sloppy joes, and turkey burgers in the same week.
- Serve breakfast for lunch! Kids love the change up, plus it’s economical!
- Eat outside! If this option is feasible in your setting…consider it a few times a week! You’ll be surprise by how much time you save on clean-up. Pull those high chairs out there too!
Summer Lunch Menu Ideas Vol 1:
Pull the summer lunch ideas off the menu below and add it to your menu or print and laminate the entire thing (click HERE to print).
The menu above includes a main dish idea for each day; add a fruit and vegetable side of your choice for a well-rounded nutritious meal!
Cheers to delicious, nutritious and easy lunches!